Clinton, Mo. – (Oct. 10, 2019) – Golden Valley Memorial Healthcare (GVMH) will be participating in the International ShakeOut earthquake drill and encourages the businesses, schools and other groups in its communities to join the drill.
Held annually on the third Thursday of October, the International ShakeOut Day is set for October 17, 2019. During the self-led drill, participants practice how to “Drop, Cover and Hold On.” Endorsed by emergency officials and first responders, the safe response to an earthquake is to:
DROP where you are, onto your hands and knees. This position protects you from being knocked down and also allows you to stay low and crawl to shelter if near.
COVER your head and neck with one arm and hand
• If a sturdy table or desk is nearby, crawl underneath it for shelter
• If no shelter is nearby, crawl next to an interior wall (away from windows)
• Stay on your knees; bend over to protect vital organs
HOLD ON until shaking stops
• Under shelter: hold on to it with one hand; be ready to move with your shelter if it shifts
• No shelter: hold on to your head and neck with both arms and hands
“While damaging earthquakes rarely occur here as compared to other areas, they can occur at any time wherever we work, live or travel,” said Joanne Wagner, BSN, RN, ACM, CHC, accreditation, safety and compliance officer at GVMH. “Everyone, everywhere should know how to protect themselves from an earthquake.”
To take part in the ShakeOut, individuals and organizations are asked to join the drill by registering to participate at www.ShakeOut.org. Once registered, participants receive information on how to plan their drill and become better prepared for earthquakes and other disasters.